Division News

MU Extension is gathering information on farmland values in Missouri. Anyone who has bought or sold land in the past year is invited to complete the 2020 Missouri Farmland Value Opinion survey by Friday, Sept. 25.

Beginning in October, the Interdisciplinary Center for Food Security will present a free six-part “Power Up Your Pantry” webinar series for food pantry and food bank staff and volunteers called “A Conversation about Burnout: Checking In, Not Checking Out.”

The Interdisciplinary Center for Food Security‘s three-part “Understanding and Addressing Inequalities in the Food System” webinar series begins at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 17. Find schedule, speaker and registration details here.

The CAFNR Staff Advisory Council invites faculty and staff to join a reading group that will work through the “Race, Racism, and the American Experience” curriculum from Monday, Sept. 14, to Friday, Nov. 20. Register for this reading group by Wednesday, Sept. 16. Contact Amy Moum with questions.

Director’s Updates & Engagements

A Shout-Out goes to two faculty who are leading grant projects that recently received funding.

If you receive news about a funded grant project, then please send the details, including an abstract, to Amy Moum, Alice Roach or Joe Parcell.

Research, Extension & Engagement Activities

Scott Brown examines the impact of Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) payments on the 2020 dairy outlook in Hoard’s Dairyman.

Scott Brown analyzes the effect of consumer financial strain on beef markets for Farm Progress.

Last week, the Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute released its “Baseline Update for U.S. Farm Income and the Farm Balance Sheet.”

Sarah A. Low. 2020. “Rural Development Research and Policy: Perspectives
from Federal and State Experiences with an Application to Broadband
.” Presidential Address, 58th Meetings of the Southern Regional Science Association.

On the Sept. 3 episode of AgriTalk (22:22), Seth Meyer spoke, along with the NASA Harvest team, about how satellite technology can help to evaluate crop conditions and estimate crop production and yields.

John D. Tummons, Laura Hasselquist, and Scott W. Smalley. 2020. “Exploring content, pedagogy, and literacy strategies among preservice teachers in CASE Institutes.” Journal of Agricultural Education.

Pat Westhoff titled his latest Columbia Daily Tribune article as “Phase one deal: Is the glass half empty or half full?

Pat Westhoff discusses record direct federal payments to farmers in the Financial Times.

Six-Month Snapshot

The “Six-Month Snapshot” highlights faculty’s planned research, teaching, extension, engagement and service activities for the next six months. By sharing this information, the intent is to enable divisional faculty to learn about one another and identify opportunities to collaborate.

All faculty will receive an invitation to contribute in an upcoming issue. In this issue, we feature Becky Mott, Jamille Palacios Rivera, and Mauro Palmero.

Becky Mott
Assistant Extension Professor
Agricultural Education and Leadership

On what challenges or opportunities are your extension activities focused, and what audiences do you plan to reach with extension activities?
Dr. Kimberly Keller (College of Human Environmental Sciences) and I are currently working on a chapter on photo elicitation for the book Qualitative Interview Techniques in Health Communication and Evaluation, which will be published by the Peter Lang Publishing Company. We have also recently published several articles in the Journal of Extension on using photo elicitation and photo voice as tools for program evaluation. I am excited to be training several extension colleagues around the state on these techniques; they have plans to use them alongside qualitative interviews in their work with 4-H youth.

What changes do you plan to make to the course(s) you teach?
I designed a new course that I will be teaching this spring, “Advanced Qualitative Research: A Comparison of Phenomenological Approaches.” There is not currently an advanced phenomenology course offered on campus, and I look forward to working with students across many disciplines in this course.

Jamille Palacios Rivera
Assistant Teaching Professor
Agricultural and Applied Economics

I have been teaching at Mizzou for six years. Since then, I have examined and adopted text books aiming to reduce cost of education; authored or co-authored new courses and custom text books and materials; moved from Blackboard to Canvas; flipped courses; created online or hybrid versions of face-to-face courses; developed a non-WI version of a WI course; added hands-on lab components to a course; and so on. I thought this year I would not change much and just enjoy teaching, but COVID-19 came along. I am “only” making necessary changes to accommodate the needs of students attending and of those who cannot or prefer not to attend a face-to-face large course because of COVID-19. I am teaching the most flexible and simplest version of a course under my belt (synchronous and asynchronous lectures, online assessments, and more importantly no chalkboard).

What service activities do you have planned?  
A service I am looking forward to execute is planning for the financial sustainability of the Cambio Center. This is a place supporting excellent research work by fellows, outreach organizations, and practitioners in topics related to immigrants.

What goals and focus areas do you have set for your research program?
I am an assistant teaching professor who likes to put some extra time and effort into research.  The topics on my research agenda fall under three overarching areas: social responsibility and agribusiness brands, labor market issues, and activism. My goal is to advance three research projects this year and complete a research project under a cooperative agreement with the ERS-USDA.

Mauro Palmero
Assistant Teaching Professor
Hospitality Management

What are the top three focuses of your research program?
Since I joined the University of Missouri, my scholarship has been fueled by the three main obstacles I deal with in my teaching: creating and delivering online versions of my classes, overcoming resistance to group work, and improving inclusivity in my classroom. I am also interested in studying issues related to sport venue management.

What goals do you have set for your research program? How do you plan to share about your research findings?
I plan to continue exploring issues related to online delivery but with a higher focus on inclusivity. I hope to be able to present my work in at least one international conference and enhance my teaching by using my research findings.

I am very happy with the amount and level of hands-on experience my classes offer my students. However, due the pandemic, I had to move some of the venue visits and business audits to an online format. Students will select a venue to virtually visit and search at least three videos of the same place to conduct their observation. I agree that this version is not comparable to an in-person visit, but at least students will have some exposure to our industry. I plan to return to our former format as soon as the pandemic is over.

I intend to continue my participation in various division, college and campus committees/task forces. I also have some virtual talks to classes outside of the division and student organizations scheduled this academic year.

Industry News

To study the pandemic’s effects on live events, GES, an event marketing and planning firm, conducted survey research and found that nearly nine in 10 respondents said they were open to in-person attendance at trade shows. Using findings from the survey, conducted in June and July, GES created five segments to show how live event perceptions and preferences varied among respondents.

The Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research (FFAR) will hold its sixth annual Public Conversation on Oct. 8, 2020. During the event, FFAR will provide an update on COVID-focused research as well as the Agriculture Climate Partnership. A public comment session will follow. Members of the public may submit questions through Sept. 30.

Submit Your News

If you have information to share in the DASS Wrap-Up, then please send your news items to Amy Moum or Joe Parcell.